Daily Investigative Analysis

General observations, and facts that take good amount of my thinking time.

Name:
Location: Mountain View, CA, United States

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Debug This !!

:D this is a strange one. May be a the freakiest ones. Every once in a while I have a deluge of work to be completed in the as usual minuscules of time :(. This time it was and FSCK program for the EXT2 file system. Cool ha !! . Its a dumb programs that tries for fix a corrupted file systems nothing much to say about it. Good experience to write one,nothing great about it not as great as my new idea !

In these high wrought and worked up days I'm often visited by my old dear friend ACIDITY. Its business as usual for me when it comes to severe acidity. Wake up, know the exact place below the ribs where it pains,drink water , and ... throw up. Well something really worse happened today where i did threw up again again but none alleviated the pain :(. So i slept in between these 4 hours 4 times and with FSCK on my mind these are the thoughts I get in my dreams.


1. "May be my liver has gone in an infinite loop producing Bile, i need to just fix that variable and all will be fine". hmm this one is very sad, just shows my attachment to the debugger windbag or gdb doesn't matter.

2. "My intestines are a big disk and the part that is paining is the corrupted block of the file system, may be i should attach my self to the debugger and see the values of the corrupted block/intestine".

The thoughts about FSCK and the pain were so badly amalgamated that I clearly remember waking up at regular intervals and explaining it to myself
Faraz-> "Ext2 fSck and acidity are two differnt problems. Both have no relation to each other and you cannot insert your body in a debugger and diagnose it. Get over it and try to sleep.!!


Very sad !! This is what life gets like at CMU !! No girls, No flying and no dropping even in your dreams :P

Well to think about wouldn't it be great if we can make a debugger for our doctors ;). (There are were sweet doctors at UPITT here)
->Just attach the patient and do a
->bt (backtrace) for everything on the stack.
No more baap ka naam ?, maa ka naam?, kal kya khaya tha ? kyu khaya tha ?.
->print heartbeat; //to print the hearbeat
->break bile>1000 // hmm hmm not cool i know, this a demo na Baba. Real implementation won't stop the running patient
fix the thing
->step
->step n
->continue.
-> WOW!! i am a doctor now !!!

I think these things do exist but they are just not seen as a debugger. I think its doable in a lifetime and another would be needed for testing it :D

LETS PUT THESE DOC'S OUT OF BUSINESS, I will debug myself using my debugger.

Well after 4 hours of an ordeal and hundreds of call to/fro back home, the day was saved by Pudin Hara. From now on, something which i will try to implement is not stay awake for more than 2 days on a stretch (I have kind of developed it over time and the MAX is 5 days without a 'second' of sleep). On the 5th day the experience is quite worth sharing. Some other time. But the best part of the 5 day run is the experience of hearing/understanding what you yourself say with a lag of some time, and crying/singing voices being poured into your ears out of no where. Missing frames , almost like the MATRiX stuff. (Do not do it !)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home